Sunday, December 11, 2011

HELP I'VE LOST MY TECHNOLOGY AND I CAN'T GET UP!!!

An alarm sounds in my room, I search for it in the dark to hit "snooze". No it's not the traditional alarmclock/radio on the nightstand that I am reaching for, it is my all-purpose-can't-start-my-day-without...phone. How did I get this way? I remember in my teens rushing home to sit by the phone wired to the wall hoping the cute boy that I gave my number to would call. Now besides my glasses, my cell phone is the first thing I have contact with everyday.

What does this little plastic piece of technology do for me? It keeps me connected to my children at all times, it keeps up with my daily schedule, list of things to do, keeps my contacts, appointment times, helps me wake up in the morning, and tells me when to go to bed.If it was human, I would be calling it "Mom"!

This is sad! without my cell phone, I would not know any one's phone number by heart, remember my next doctors appointment, and miss my daughters recital! Have I become the fabled slave to AI (artificial Intelligence) by allowing this little electronic gadget take over the menial task that keep my life moving forward?

Our assignment this week is to talk about two technologies that I can't live without. Since the first one is obviously my phone, the second one is my computer. Wow, a big shocker right? Wrong, because it is not the computer that I work with daily at work or at home, but the tiny computer that is located in my car! Oh thank the Lord for the little brainy person who decided that folks like me needed to be actually told to CHANGE THE OIL!

Many of us have very busy lives. How many of us hop in our car and automatically check our mileage, and remember hey it's about time for a change? How about the tire pressure? Fluid level? Gas?  Be honest many of us wait on that indicator light to flash "Change Oil" before we decide to do it.
I remember my first car a 1978 Dodge Aspen (I got it in 1991). You know how I found out it needed antifreeze? When I was on the side of the road and smoke was billowing out from under the hood! Yep time to get that checked...


Technology today has developed so significantly that it is integrated into just about every part of our lives. Take education. Students reading this blog would not be able to do so without advancing technology. This is a form of learning medium. I think learning and forward technology goes hand in hand. It started from the one college professor who thought his students would get the most out of his class by having a way to teach the students mathematics simultaneously by using a granite slate.(Thornburg, The Emergence of Educational Technology)

To a Gen Xer like myself, technology still holds the wow factor, but Today's Net Gen Learners learn by doing because they have been exposed to technology practically from birth. Technology is, to them, a way to get things done not just the cool new thing. (Oblinger, Using Technology as a Learning Tool,not just the cool new thing)

No comments:

Post a Comment